What is Hypnotherapy? What is Hypnosis?
First things first. You should forget everything you know from stage or TV hypnosis. It’s only done for entertainment. It’s faked and is usually practiced be illusionists and magicians. Not clinical hypnotherapists, counsellors or pyschotherapists!
- Hypnosis is completely natural and safe. It can be used by adults and children. It is safe in pregnancy.
- Hypnosis can’t make you do anything you do not wish to do.
- You can’t get “stuck” in hypnosis. That would be like saying you can get stuck watching a film. You might be engrossed and forget about other things whilst you’re watching a film or listening to music – but you can’t get stuck. It’s the same with hypnosis.
- You’re always completely in control.
- If you want to talk, ask a question, move about or stop the session, you can – any time you want.
- You can’t be made to reveal anything about yourself that you don’t want to. You’ll be working together with your hypnotherapist to achieve YOUR goals.
- In hypnosis will feel a deep sense of calm and relaxation. It’s a really nice experience.
- Anyone can go into hypnosis; you don’t need any special ability.
- Hypnosis a a very deep state of relaxation. You may experience pleasant sensations of heaviness, numbness, drifting or floating; some people experience tingling fingers, or fluttering eyelids. Because hypnosis is so relaxing, it is particularly effective for treating insomnia, anxiety and phobias.
- Hypnotherapy is when suggestions are made whilst you are in a state of hypnosis. Because you’re so relaxed, your mind is quiet and calm. This means you’re more able than usual to focus on the suggestions being made. You’re not distracted.
Because you are so deeply relaxed the critical, conscious part of your mind is also relaxed. This means that you’re much more receptive to the suggestions being made and won’t reject them (for example by saying to yourself “oh no, that wouldn’t work for me”) as you might usually. But because the suggestions being made will have been agreed in advance with your hypnotherapist, there’s nothing to fear.
If suggestion were made which you didn’t want to accept, then you’d simply ignore them. If suggestions were repeatedly made which you didn’t agree with, you would find yourself becoming less and less relaxed, and then you’d stop being in hypnosis.
How does Hypnotherapy work?
Although there are many different theories about why hypnosis works as well as it does, it is agreed that hypnosis is a state where you can more readily accept suggestions about changes you want to make. These changes can be to your behaviour. attitudes, beliefs, thoughts or feelings. You choose whether or not to respond to the suggestions being made. Hypnotherapy is particularly good at dealing with problems arising from stress and anxiety. It deals with specific problems and also enables you to feel generally more relaxed and confident, meaning that you deal better with life’s ups and downs.
Before entering hypnosis you will discuss with the hypnotherapist those changes you’d like to make. When you’re in hypnosis you’ll be able to focus on the suggestions being made, based on your earlier discussions. You’ll be able to visualise the improvements to your life which making those changes will bring. Because you’ll be so relaxed, you will be less distracted and therefore able to concentrate fully on the ideas and suggestions.
Hypnotherapists in south Manchester
The therapists at Manchester Hypnotherapy have over twenty five years of experience in treating insomnia, anxiety and teaching relaxation techniques and self hypnosis. If you are looking for anxiety treatment, or want to find a hypnotherapist in south Manchester to help stress and anxiety, emotional problems, tinnitusor low self esteem, then go to any of the independent websites which list and give reviews of hypnotherapists (for example www.freeindex.co.uk – Google also displays reviews) and you will see the excellent results which Pam and her team have achieved. If you would like further information about hypnosis in Manchester, for sleeping problems and insomnia, self esteem and confidence, phobias such as fear of flying, depression, for help with weight loss, to break bad habits, or for any other problem, please call 07779 575816 for a free, no obligation, confidential discussion.
Hypnosis and hypnotherapy in Didsbury, Manchester – convenient for city centre Manchester, Chorlton, Gatley, Cheadle, Stockport and all areas of south, east and west Manchester.